We're a group of kids committed to performing good deeds both here in Darien, IL and around the globe.
We start young here in School District #61 - second grade to be exact and our group is comprised of mostly third thru fifth graders. We meet weekly throughout the school year, logging over 40+ service hours per child! Many of our alumni return to act as mentors to our group throughout the year.
Over the years we've raised thousands of dollars for various causes and have received much attention along the way. Our group has been featured on ABC7-Chicago, FOX Chicago as well as in featured articles in the Chicago Tribune and other local publications. From adopting schools in far away lands to delivering Thanksgiving dinners to local shelters and Halloween costumes to local school children, no deed is too great or too small for us to take on.
The lessons we learn here will last us a lifetime.
Hundreds of District 61 students have gone through our Kids4Good Club in the past five years. Our group has logged hundreds of service hours along the way. We've raised awareness and thousands of dollars in funds for a wide range of causes.
The following is a list of good deeds we have already taken on:
- Giving Games - Raised over $1,500 in the days following the Tsunami in Indonesia through the
trade-in of used video games and systems.
- Helping Harte - Raised over $2,000 and collected over 4,000 books for a school we adopted
in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina.
- Snail Fever - Raised awareness about a disease striking children in Nigeria and raised funds
to cover the cost of the medications needed to eradicate the disease. Had special reception with
Dr. Donald Hopkins, Carter Center in Atlanta, who is leading the charge to eradicate numerous diseases
- Project Boo - Have collected hundreds of Halloween Costumes in recent years to distribute to children
in our community who would have to go without a costume.
- Elves Exposed - Have collected hundreds of winter coats in recent years to distribute to local
- Books4Good - Collected and delivered over 1,800 books for an elementary school in southern Illinois
who lost their library due to spring floods.
- Magazines4Soldiers - Collected over 800 magazines to send to local reservists serving in Iraq.
- Hope4Haiti - Adopted a school in Dabon, Haiti. Have raised over $1,000 to date but still need to raise over $8,000 to help fund an addition to the existing school. This is one of our ongoing initiatives. We're committed to our friend Maxandre.
Funds Raised from this campaign will go to the Foundation for Angelman Syndrome Therapeutics for research towards a cure.